How to Treat Migraine-Associated Vertigo in Brighton Beach

Migraine-associated vertigo is a known illness characterized by recurring vertigo events in those who have had migraine headaches in the past. The clinical history is used to make the diagnosis, and diagnostic tests may reveal nonspecific abnormalities. Migraine headache management and lifestyle changes are part of the treatment. For vertigo attacks, acetazolamide and lamotrigine may be more effective. Vestibular rehabilitation has also been shown to be beneficial. Head to this page to find a local professional for brighton beach migraine treatment. 

Do migraines lead to vertigo?

Migraine-associated vertigo might have an inconsistency in the timing of migraines and vertigo, making diagnosis difficult. Migraine headaches commonly begin in the teens or early twenties, while vertigo begins in the 30s or 40s. Vertigo and headaches can occur concurrently, or vertigo may precede headaches. Only about 5-70% of patients report concurrent headache and vertigo episodes, with the remaining 30% experiencing vertigo only. This raises concerns regarding the significance of the temporal connection as well as potential differences in pathogenesis.

Migraine-related vertigo bouts can range anywhere from seconds to days, but most typically last from hours to days. Tinnitus and auditory fullness may be present during an episode, but baseline audiometry is usually normal. When diagnosing migraine-associated vertigo, hearing loss is ruled out because substantial hearing loss would indicate Ménière’s illness.

What are the types of migraines?

Benign Recurrent vertigo in childhood is a childhood syndrome associated with the development of migraines later in life. Aura symptoms such as basilar-type migraines are recognized, but a temporal correlation with headaches is uncommon. Ménière Disease competes with migraine vertigo, with a high prevalence of migraine in Ménière patients. Some patients who have both diseases may have a hereditary link.

The treatment:

Anticholinergics, antihistamines, antidopaminergics, and benzodiazepines are the most commonly used symptomatic treatments for migrainous vertigo. However, these medications may cause sleepiness and cognitive slowness. There is limited evidence to support the use of triptans for acute migrainous vertigo, and more study is needed to determine their efficacy. According to some research, people with migrainous vertigo may be more sensitive to variations in serotonin tone.

Final thoughts:

More study on epidemiology, diagnostic testing, and treatment has resulted from the growing awareness of migraine-associated vertigo as a unique illness. However, there is no agreement on diagnostic criteria. The diagnosis is based on the correlation of episodic vertigo with a personal or family history of migraine headaches, as well as the exclusion of other ear-related diseases such as Ménière’s disease. 

Author Image
Chiara Brunner